Dedicated to the Business of Contemporary Live Music
LiveUK

Kendal Calling-Superstruct team makes changes

Festival
10 March 2020

KENDAL CALLING’s 15th anniversary will be marked with the unveiling of two new stages within a newly created zone named Carneville.

Festival co-founder Andy Smith says it will be an immersive funfair destination.

“We are moving a lot of things around on the site this year and creating Carneville; a whole area set aside purely for entertainment,” says Smith. “There will be no traders or concessions in there. It will have a funfair angle with big tops and side shows, with lots of music going on.”

The largest new stage, the Funhouse will feature cover acts, while Yam Riot will host a line-up curated by BBC Introducing during the day and Earache Records in the evening.

Smith says another major change will be the replacement of the 4,000-capacity Glow Tent, which featured dance music, with Afterglow (also 4,0000), an indoor and outdoor space featuring an eclectic range of music including the Dub Pistols and The She Street Band.

One of a number of festivals sold by radio giant Global to Superstruct in April last year, the 27,000-capacity event will take place between 30 July and 3 August in the Lake District’s Lowther Deer Park.

Superstruct owns 60 per cent of the business, while the remaining 40 per cent is owned by Smith and fellow co-founder Ben Robinson.

“Superstruct have been great so far, it is an absolute pleasure to work with people that really know their stuff, they are promoters that understand exactly what we are doing,” says Smith.

Kendal Calling headliners include Foals, Goldfrapp, Stereophonics, Supergrass and Primal Scream.

Tickets cost £154.75.

Other Stories

WOMAD opts for alternative power

10 March 2020
WOMAD director Chris Smith says a large part of the 40,000-capacity event will be powered by mains electricity for the first time this year, in…
Read more

New stages for Boomtown

10 March 2020
BOOMTOWN FAIR (cap. 66,000) will feature two news stages this year and include a new multi-stage show that will take place throughout the duration of…
Read more